The process is designed to help leaders and organizations who want to proactively understand and address racism, both in their organization and in the community where the organization is working. The Racial Equity Institute, LLC process is just that: an 18-month to two-year process.
Our experience is that the goals of understanding and addressing racism can rarely be achieved in a 3-hour or one-day workshop. Racism is a fierce, ever-present, challenging force, one which has structured the thinking, behavior, and actions of individuals and institutions since the beginning of U.S. history. To understand racism and effectively begin dismantling it requires an equally fierce, consistent, and committed effort.
Our approach to helping groups deal with issues of racial inclusion and diversity involves:
- development of a plan for change, which will include specific and meaningful goals as well as an action plan to reach those goals;
- ongoing reflection designed to both evaluate the group’s progress and document lessons learned as the organization moves through the process;
- periodic check-ins to insure that your organization is receiving the support you need to be successful in reaching your goals.
- an organizational assessment phase to help everyone understand the attitudes and feelings about racism that exist throughout your organization;
- Racial Equity Institute, LLC Workshop(s) which offer an analysis of racism and support your organization in adopting a common understanding of the problem;
- an analysis of the organization’s stage of development in becoming an anti-racist organization;